Central Park was another place I loved. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I picked out my outfit for the day, but our stroll through Central Park made me wish I had brought my running clothes. I can see why so many people like to run there, it's the perfect park. I also thought it was exactly like you see in the books and the movies.
After our trip through Central Park, we headed to the Museum of Natural History. We weren't too impressed with this place, but it was included in our City Pass, so at least it didn't cost us a thing. I'm not sure if we didn't like it because we hit all the Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C. or the fact that it had lots of stuffed (I'm sure that's not the right word, but you get the idea) animals and we have the St. Louis zoo so close, or the fact that it was so crowded. At least we can say we've been there.
After the museum, we headed back to the hotel to regroup and ended up buying a Grayline hop-on, hop-off tour. While the commentary (which could be another post in it's self) of the bus tour left a little to be desired, the sitting was a much needed break for our feet. We were also able to see several sights that we wouldn't have been able to (Harlem, etc) and gave us a different perspective on the city.
The Guggenheim Museum, bonus points to anyone who knows the architect.
After our Grayline tour, we headed over to the World Trade Center site on Sunday night.
First thing Monday morning, we headed to the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center. While I've always had dreams of seeing the Today Show, we were out of luck as everyone was in London for the Olympics (talk about bad trip timing). Once again, I loved the views from the Top of the Rock.
After some more walking at a few random stops along 5th Ave, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Grand Central Terminal, and the New York City Public Library, we headed the the Museum of Modern Art.
Van Gogh's "Starry Night"
A Jackson Pollack painting.
Side Note: I recognized this painting from Leah's book "Olivia". I'm amazed at how many children's books include references to things in New York City.
We sort of rushed through the Museum of Modern Art and only stopped long enough to see the popular items, Andy Warhol, Van Gogh, etc. just to say we've seen them. We rushed through the museum because we wanted to take the nighttime Harbor Cruise around Manhattan.
The nighttime views of the city were worth it! I loved the views! Our harbor cruise also included a slight delay for President Obama's helicopter to take off.That pretty much wraps up our NYC trip. Tuesday we walked around 5th Ave. some more, hit up FAO Schwartz and headed home. Although I was so glad to be home, I'm so glad we went to NYC. Our trip was the perfect length, and I can't wait to go back again someday. I've already started making my trip itinerary for next time: Run in Central Park, Broadway show, Today Show, who's going with me??
I can't say enough how much I loved New York and I can see why so many people like it, what a great vacation!
1 comment:
Frank Lloyd Wright. I learned that in the one and only class brandon and i took together in college: Appreciation of architecture. I actually learned a lot and loved the class. We studied a lot of FLW's buildings. Looks like you had a great time!
Post a Comment