Saturday, July 25, 2009

I've Been Bitten by the Bug...

The sewing bug! I'm not sure when it happened, but I can't get enough of fabric and patterns. I know it's gotten bad because Friday night Tim asked if I wanted to watch a movie and I declined, because I wanted to sew. What! The start of school is looming, so I've been trying to get in as much sewing time as possible, so much so that I keep putting off working in my classroom. (This is bad, because I had a dream about the first day of school and it wasn't pretty.)
Anyway, here are a few of the things I've been working on.

I have so many friend/ relatives/ co-workers that are expecting babies that I thought these burp cloths and baby blankets would be perfect gifts. My mom helped me get started and showed me a few sewing tricks. I've got two more sets of fabric to work on.
I found the pattern for this purse on-line and thought I'd give it a try. This is the example my mom and I made. We just used fabric she had to see how it worked out. It turned out to be surprisingly easy and cute!
Here is the second bag I made. I stopped in Lawrence at Sarah's Fabrics (I love that place!) and bought some fabric. On accident I ended up getting the same fabric as the lady who made the pattern. I also made a few modifications from the first one, shortened the strap and added a few more pockets on the inside. I have more fabric for another bag and I'm hoping to make a little bag to go with it.
This bag originally started out as a $9 Wal-Mart t-shirt. I had a different idea in mind when I thought about this bag, but I couldn't get it to workout right, so this is was I came up with. I'm thinking this bag will be great for Cardinal games. I'm not a huge Ryan Ludwick fan, but I couldn't see myself cutting up a Pujols shirt, especially when I wasn't sure how it would work out. (Not to mention that Ludwick t-shirts were $9 and Pujols t-shirts were $14.)

I think this takes care of #11, sew 5 things!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your mom is very proud!!! I can tell you that once bitten by the bug there is no known treatment at this point in time! Just ask my friends....Gayle, Kathie, Anita, Karen...welcome to our club!!

Jamie said...

Learning to sew is on my to-do list this year. You're my inspiration Jody!!!

Anonymous said...

Jody, I am so jealous (and proud). Maybe someday you can give me some lessons!
Kelly T.

Robyn said...

Very impressive, the sewing and the pie. I know Jim would be happy to do a taste test anytime you want to practice on your pie making skills.