Wednesday, July 15, 2009

All Star Sunday

Tim and I spent the last 4 days in St. Louis for the MLB All-Star Game and all of the activities surrounding it. Sunday started out with a 5K and 1 mile Fun Run through the streets of downtown St. Louis. Tim, Jim, Dan and I ran in the 5K, while Sally, Robyn and Trent ran in the 1-mile fun run.The race started in front of Busch Stadium and ended by the Edward Jones Dome.
Former Cardinal Player and Hall of Famer, Lou Brock was the official starter.
Over 8,000 people participated in the races. This was our view of the starting line.
After the race we were lucky enough to get a photo opp with Albert Pujols, or at least his cut-out. The medals Tim and Albert are wearing were our prizes for finishing the 5k race.
(Incase anyone is wondering how you get Tim to smile for pictures, this is how you do it, put him next to Albert.)
Trent and Robyn with Albert Pujols.

After a shower and a short rest at Sally and Dan's, we headed back to St. Louis to catch the Futures Game and the Celebrity Softball Game.
This is about all we saw of both of Futures game and the Celebrity Softball game. The games were in a 4 hour rain delay.

While waiting for the rain to pass, we hung out at Busch Stadium, where they had this flag of hats. I thought it looked cool, they are all red, white, and blue Cardinal hats.
We decided to fore-go the rain delay and headed over to Fan Fest at the Edward Jones Dome. Fan Fest was another area of the All Star festivities with all sorts of vendors. We decided it would be really neat if you had a 8-10 year old kid or were really into collecting sports memorbilla. Since the four of us (Tim, Dan, Jim, and myself) are neither 10 nor really into collecting sports memorbilla, we didn't stay too long. Fan Fest also had a lot of information on the Cardinals' history and the history of baseball. You could also get former baseball player's autographs and bid on baseball auction items.
I was most impressed with this 2009 World Series Trophy.
After exploring Fan Fest, we could have gone back to the stadium to watch the Futures game and the Celebrity Softball game, but considering that we had been up since 5:30, we headed to Jim and Robyn's instead. While I was disappointed to miss the celebrity softball game and missed seeing Shawn Johnson's handsprings to first base, I sure was glad for the rest.
Stay tuned for more All Star pictures.

1 comment:

Mary Kay said...

Even though I am a Royals fan, I am extremely jealous of your All-Star experiences in St Louis. Congrats on running the 5K. Jody, you are an inspiration to me in so many different ways.
Your favorite aunt,
Mary Kay