Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reasons I Love Teaching and Some News

I'm a little behind on Teacher Appreciation week (it was last week), but Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
Onto the News portion: I've been offered and accepted a teaching position (although I haven't signed a contract yet, so it's still not 100% official), but I've had huge mixed emotions about accepting the position. Ideally, I know it's what's best for me. I work best when I'm busy and productive and while I enjoy staying at home, folding the laundry and unloading the dishwasher doesn't exactly fulfill my need for productivity.  The position is teaching 5th grade at a Catholic School in St. Louis, and while I've never worried about the money while teaching (what teacher does?) I do wish the salary was just a little bit more.  It's a job and more than I've made the last two years, so that's all that counts.
To look on the bright side of this job and to remind myself just how much I enjoy teaching, I've been listing the things I love about teaching.  Here you go:

1. I love planning- Sounds silly, but I love planning.  I love making my daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly plans.  There is something about knowing exactly what's coming up and I get a huge feeling of accomplishment from planning things out.
2. I love being creative- I love knowing the concept and then thinking about how I can teach it to the kids and apply it to their real life.
3. I love interacting with the kids- Where else will you find a room full of 25 unique individuals?  I love that everyone has their own ideas and brings something unique to the classroom. (Most of the time this is a positive. :))
3. I love interacting with the staff- I think teachers share a special feeling of camaraderie.  I enjoy sharing new ideas with other teachers and gaining their new ideas in turn.
4. No day is ever the same- While the daily schedule might be the same, I get to teaching the kids something new and exciting everyday.
5. I get to learn myself- Not only do I enjoy learning from the students, I love to learn about teaching and new instructional strategies.
6. The First Day of School- I love all the excitement that comes with the first day of school. Plus is there anything better than new school supplies?
7. The Last Day of School- Not many other jobs provide you with a scheduled ending day.  For me there is no comparison for the feeling on the last day of school, the excitement, the joy, the relief!
8. The Hours- While I haven't ever been a teacher that leaves school at 3:00, I love the flexibility that it will allow me to pick Leah up earlier and spend more time in the evening with her.  I'm sure that will make me do more grading and planning after she goes to bed, but I'm okay with that.
9. The Breaks- I'm so thankful for the breaks during the school year that allow me to spend more time with my family and be a mom.
10. I make a difference- Or at least I hope I do!  I hope one day my former students will look back and have fond memories of having me as their teacher.

For now I'm trying to enjoy the summer with Leah before the busyness of the school year hits.





By favorite and best student for the past two years. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job!
Your Favorite Aunt - Mar Kay

Rebecca said...

Congratulations on the new Job!!!
Your Favorite Cousin- Rebecca :)

Debbie said...

Jody
Congratulations on your new job.
Very nice comments about your love of teaching.
Teachers touch the future
Love you dad

Leslie said...

How wonderful, Jody! Congrats on your new teaching position. I already know you'll do great! :) P.S. Absolutely adorable pictures of Leah, as always.