Wednesday, May 8, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?

A couple of weekends ago Tim and I decided we needed a new hobby, so we planted a garden! Planting a garden is one of the things on my "To-Do" and since we now have the space for a garden in our backyard, why not?  My ultimate goal is to be able to make salsa from only ingredients in our garden, I've heard cilantro can be tricky to grow, so we'll see. This year we planted corn, green beans, zucchini  yellow squash, two types of peppers, cilantro, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, and tomatoes (that still need to be planted). I'm not really holding my breath that all of it is going to successfully grow, but a few homegrown things would be nice.
 I loosely wanted to follow the "Gardening By The Square Foot" method, but it's a little trick to follow when you don't have the book.  We did make our own soil mix out of vermiculite, peat moss, and compost.  




 This was as far as we got the first weekend.  Then we waited, and waited, and waited for some dry, warmer weather to plant the seeds. 
 Here is the final garden with the seeds planted (minus the tomatoes) and rows labeled, at least I think they're labeled correctly with little hands around you can never be quite sure.

 While we were out buying seeds, Leah also got some of her own flower seeds to plant.


Here's to a bountiful harvest!

No comments: