I always love new dinner recipes/ ideas so I thought I'd share this one.
One of the things I miss about living in Kansas was our location to shopping and restaurants, not that our location here is that far away or bad, it's just some of my favorites are further away now. The one in particular that is further away than I'd like is Chipotle. Chipotle and I got into a little routine last summer/ fall, where I ended up eating it every Sunday night. Tim usually left on Sunday for work and I didn't want to cook for just my (pregnant) self and Chipotle was good, close and convenient, so it won out. Now that Chipotle isn't quite as convenient as it was before, not to mention it can get pricey, I've come up with a solution to fix my Chipotle cravings, make my own!
I'm a chicken burrito fan so here's my version of a chicken burrito.
Chicken: I usually sprinkle a couple of frozen chicken breasts with olive oil and taco seasoning and bake for 45-50 minutes (or buy the fajita chicken strips), let the cool and shred. (I usually do this sometime during the day before dinner and then reheat it just a little before serving.)
Rice: I cook minute rice according to the package directions and add a little cilantro and lime juice while it cooks.
Beans and Corn Salsa: I think it is what makes it most like a Chipotle burrito, corn salsa. Here's the recipe thanks to my mom:
2 cans Yellow and White corn
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can green chilis
1 red onion chopped
2 tsp. cumin
juice of one lime
salt to taste
1/3 c. olive oil
1/2 c. cilantro chopped
Combine all ingredients and chill.
To make your burrito combine all ingredients in a tortilla and add sour cream and cheese.
Last time I made these, I modified this recipe I found off Pinterest as a way to heat them, it added a nice crunchy texture to the tortilla.
Now if I ask myself "Black or Pinto Beans?" and "sourcreamcheese?" while I'm making these I almost feel like I'm at Chiptole. Almost.
2 comments:
No Chipotle in Niles or Salina so I know what you mean! Salina is going to get a LongHorn's...yea!!! Your recipe sounds great....that would be something I would like on my next visit!
Jody,
Why didn't you fix this when we visited? Next time, I expect the Julia Childs in you to come out and cook something fabulous. Ok, so maybe you don't know who she is, just think of getting the Debbie Brenneman in you to come out.
Mary Kay
Post a Comment