Nope not our house, nope not for a new husband. I'm back in the market for friends.
Since moving to St. Louis I've been in the market for new friends. I never imagined I'd miss my friends so much or find it this hard to make friends. Realistically I haven't had to "make" new friends since gosh, who knows when. Not middle school, not high school, not college, not even when we moved to Kansas City, I've always had a few people close. When we decided to move here I never really thought making friends would be this hard, I'm a nice person (I think) and I generally get along well with everyone. But it's been hard, I realized most of my friends either came from work or school and since I'm not working (although prayers for a job would be appreciated), it's been hard. Leah and I did take a class at the library and I met a few friends there, but unfortunately it ended before I had enough courage to ask them to do something outside of the library time.
Also, anytime I go anywhere I feel like I'm on the "prowl" for new friends, I short of feel like these two from Night at the Rocksbury, only I'm just looking for friends. (Check out the first minute to see what I mean and imagine Leah and I at Babies R Us doing the same thing, yeah it hasn't worked so well.) Plus, I'm not exactly the type of person that will start up a conversation with some random while waiting in the check-out line.
I've also found several on-line mom's groups, but again I lack the courage to actually go to something, plus I feel like all their play dates are for older kids and Leah wouldn't really get a lot out of it.
But tomorrow I'm doing it, I'm meeting two girls whom I met on-line. They both have babies under a year and are from the "20 Something Moms" group. At first I was a little freaked out about the whole on-line thing, but I figure people do on-line dating and find their spouse on-line these days, so hopefully I'll be okay. So wish me luck as I try to get back in the market and make some St. Louis friends.
In the meantime, I'll leave you with a few pictures of my favorite little St. Louis friend, whom I love dearly, but isn't the best conversationalist. I'm thinking she could use a few new friends as well.
2 comments:
Wow, Jody, I am so appreciative of your authenticity in this post. It reminds me of this saying I have posted in my office: People are impressed with our strengths, but connect to our vulnerabilities. You are modeling honesty for the rest of us. I am sure anyone who reads this wants to help you find friends, but we know you will do that in time. You are wonderful - and in the spirit of Saturday night live - people like you! Thanks for being the best niece east of the Mississippi.
Auntie Mary Kay
I'd be your St. Louis friend in a heartbeat!!! However, since we aren't moving to St. Louis....I can be your KC friend that you can call whenever you need to!!! Miss you and hoping your playdate went well!!
Post a Comment