Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pinned It and Made It

I'm in love with Pinterest!  It inspires me to be more crafty, cook more, take better pictures, be healthy, and do fun things with Leah, what's not to love.  Although, I love it, there are times I hate it too, I hate that I pin all these things that I may never do or pin things that I might not look at again, I hate that part of it.
So, to prove to myself (and you all) that I actually did/do make things from it and that all my time spent on it hasn't been all wasted, here are a few things I've actually pinned and made.
 If you received our Christmas card, you've already seen this picture, the idea, from Pinterest.  I'm too cheap to have a photographer take professional pictures of us, so I had my mom take these.  We took several others, but due to the cold/ timing and some other factors, this is one of the only ones we used.  I had other ideas for more pictures, but the cold changed those plans,  maybe someday. 
 I've already posted these pictures here, but the idea and camera technique came from Pinterest. 
 This was our Christmas card holder.  Sometimes I see something on Pinterest and I think, "Why didn't I think of that?" this was one of those ideas, so simple and took about 2 minutes to do.  I love getting Christmas cards and I've been looking for a way to display them for quite sometime, thanks Pinterest!  This was simply ribbon I put over our pantry door and I used clothes pins to pin the cards too it.  
 These were the clothes pins I used to hold up our Christmas cards.  Just scrapbook paper, modge podge, and clothes pins. 
 This was one I did clear back in November, it's finger painting with Leah.  I knew I wanted to try finger painting with Leah, but I wasn't quite sure I wanted to give her finger paints, so we tried this, yogurt and food coloring.  Easy to make and if she eats it, no big deal.  
 This one I, err my mom made.  I'm great about giving my mom ideas and she's really great about delivering on them, this one was no different.  I pinned this one and she was able to sew it up in a night (a late one!).  I (I mean she) even made two more for me to give to my nieces as Christmas presents. (In my defense, I had plans to make them, it just didn't happen.)  Thanks mom for coming through on another one of my ideas and sorry about the late night!
 This one is Leah's magnetic board in her new playroom (a playroom post is coming soon!).  I knew I wanted some sort of magnetic surface and I looked into magnetic paint, but I didn't like the reviews I read, so I scraped that idea and found this one.  This is just a sheet of metal (found at Home Depot) and a frame from Hobby Lobby (50% off), we (Tim) broke the glass out and put the metal sheet in the frame, viola, a magnetic board.  I love it!
 These two were Christmas presents, a bag and a camera strap for my sister-in-law.  I had some left over fabric from Leah's pillow mat, so I sewed these two things up.  I actually ended up making four of the bags and three camera straps.  The bags were really easy and made great Christmas presents.  
 Leah's magnetic fabric letters
These were really easy and fun to make.  I took two charm squares (a 5x5 square for you non-quilters) and a piece of batting, traced the letter shape on them, sewed around it and cut it out.  Putting the magnet in the letter made it a little more difficult, but they were still pretty easy.  I have another packet of charm squares just waiting to make more, I think this time I might leave the magnets out. 
 Ribbon Ric-Rack Shirts
My mom actually pinned these, so while she was slaving away on Leah's pillow mat, I made these.  One for Leah, one for Natalie, and one for Emily.  They were so easy, I just cut ribbon and ric-rack at various lengths and glued them on the shirts, then sewed a button on top.  I have ideas for a Valentine's day one too, but we'll see if it happens. :) 
Leah's Growth Ruler
This one was just another one of my ideas, I didn't have much to do with it.  Tim and his dad made this one.  I'm pretty sure had I made it, it would not have looked this good.  This too hangs in her playroom and I absolutely love it!  I love that we now have a place to record Leah's height and don't have to worry about taking it with us if we move.    More and better pictures are coming in the playroom post!
Those are a few crafty things I've been doing thanks to Pinterest.  I've also been trying some new recipes, but I think I'll save those for another post.  

3 comments:

Kristin said...

You're putting this mama to shame! I've loved getting ideas from Pinterest too, but I'm finding it's hard to find the time to get them done. You're inspiring. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Awesome ... you are certainly putting me to shame as well! That being said, we sure appreciate reaping the benefits of your (and your Mom's) Pinterest ventures! You are an amazing Mama. (Not to mention a pretty good sister, SIL, and aunt too!!)
Stacia

Afton said...

Whoa!!! Look at you go! The only thing I've actually made from my pins is my jewelry board! Finding the time and the motivation at the same time are proving to be difficult for me. But you're inspiring me to do more! Love all the things you created! You're so creative and crafty!