Saturday, January 2, 2010

Land of Lincoln

While we were in Illinois for Christmas, we decided to cross #45 off my list and visit the Lincoln Museum in Springfield.
Before heading to the museum, we decided to stop for a visit at Lincoln's New Salem, even the pouring rain and cold temperatures couldn't keep us away. New Salem was a settlement where Lincoln spent his early adulthood. There are several log cabins that have been recreated to show what it might have looked like in the 1820s when Lincoln lived there. Tim and Robyn called ahead to make sure they were open on the 23rd, and I think they were glad to have us. The lady at the front desk told us we were the first people she had seen in two weeks, I'm guessing winter is a bad time for them.

This is what some of the cabins look like. You can't tell from the picture but it's pouring down rain.
Tim and Robyn exploring the cabins, thankfully we had umbrellas and warm coats.
After finding out they finally had visitors, this nice man lit a fire for us in the tavern/hotel and it was so nice!
After visiting New Salem we headed to Springfield for lunch and a visit at the Lincoln museum. I didn't take any pictures at the Lincoln museum, (I'm always afraid the museum people will take my camera, so it stayed in my bag). I loved the museum, I've always been a fan of Abraham Lincoln as a president, so it was nice to learn a little more about his life, maybe now I'll tackle "Team of Rivals".
Thanks Tim and Robyn for our organizing our Lincoln "field trip".

No comments: